Monday, March 16, 2015

PROCESS - A GRID AS A GUIDE

3/16/15 - SANCTUARY -This is a 60"x50" Belgian Linen canvas.  Most often a painting is a long time in the making -- and most of it is painted in my head months, or  sometimes years, before it finds life on a canvas.  A few years ago my traveling buddies, Jerry Walter and Rick Finney, and I were at the Martinez Hacienda early one beautiful fall morning.  The Rio Pueblo was quiet - the scene was serene - another unforgettable moment.  It was preserved in a photograph and for all this time quietly bouncing around in my head, popping up when I least expected it.  Here is what I hope is the beginning of a really good painting (one never knows how things will turn out - hoping to be surprised!).  This is a 60"x50" canvas prepared with three coats of gesso toned with Payne's Grey.  I have blocked out the grid in ten inch squares so that I can put the sketch on with fairly accurate proportions.  Stay tuned! 

No comments: