Tuesday, March 10, 2015

STUDIO WORK IN PROGRESS - Untitled 30"x24" Original Oil

STUDIO WORK IN PROGRESS (Sketch) - Untitled 30"x24" Original Oil on Linen.  Loose sketch applied to a toned ground with Prussian Blue, Burnt Sienna and Distilled Turpentine.  This is a little road in the Village of Tesuque late on a February afternoon.  Often I block in six or eight paintings at a time for a couple of very good reasons - this has been part of my process for as long as I can remember.  First of all these sketches are from field trips and stand out from the collected material as the most visually exciting.  I usually compose with my camera (taking many shots of the same subject at different angles) and in the end choose the strongest composition.  The way I paint the canvases are all in various stages of drying so there is a necessary rotation process.  It is possible this routine wouldn't work for a lot of artists, but somehow this process has kept me excited enough to keep painting for many years!

No comments: